Friday 1 November 2013

PPP2: Study Task 1- Who am I Now and What Do I Feel I Have Achieved as a Graphic Designer?

- We draw on our own experiences and memories to provide research
- Spent time outside finding things and going places rather than indoors
- Blogs are a 'revisitable' resource that can be used to record our personal journeys and look back on it to see how far we have come
- Starting to plan how to put ourselves out there and getting into Industry

Task 1
Honestly answer these 5 questions which can then be discussed in a following afternoon sign-up session.

1. Consider your First Year and what you feel were the highlights in your College Career so far as Graphic Design is Concerned?

In regards to 1st Year, I felt like I learned mainly from mistakes that I would make as I went along through the Year, leading up to them being highlights due to it helping my Graphic Design skills set. For instance, a highlight was the Context of Practise brief because it went so badly for me which meant I gained a lot of experience from it. This isn't really a positive thing but it was positive for me as a Designer.

Another highlight from my College Career was my 'Shatter' Letterforms being voted as the most communicative. I don't feel like I measure up to the same level as everybody else on my Course in regards to skills or ability so it was a confidence booster when my simple letterforms were able to be successful and were voted by my peers for it as well.

The last highlight was perhaps the production of my Baseball Cards as it was the first individual Brief  I did which I produced using a fully digital response. For something so small and insubstantial, it took me the full 3 week timeframe just to construct the illustration images of the players and that was with help! But when I had made them, I felt like I had achieved something and I was really proud of myself.

2. Document of your PPP Blog, the main events of your Summer Break. Reflecting on your Summer, what is your most memorable event and why?

The majority of my Summer Break was made up of working up to 5, 6 or 7 day weeks in a row and having 1 day off before starting the cycle all over again yet at the end of Summer, I left that job to start another. A week of Summer was spent in Battle, Sussex in a Caravan visiting National Trust Sites- I particularly enjoyed going around the house of Rudyard Kipling as I am an avid reader and loved Jungle Book as a child. Also, during the summer, I decided to learn a new skill and took up Driving Lessons having been inspired by my Dad. I've gone from no experience to driving on main roads!

There are 2 memorable events from my Summer, one of them being the first time Driving in my Instructor's car from one end of a road to the other. The second event was going to York with my Grandparents where we had lunch in a Teddy Bear shop and went to the York Chocolate Story Attraction as part of my Summer Brief research and got to make our own chocolate, which was great but my Granddad is diabetic so it wasn't really the best element for him! To be fair, he stuck it out and made it around the attraction despite the temptation so he was a good sport.

3. Have you made any Contacts over the Summer that you feel could be helpful over the coming year or so and what outcomes do you feel achieved? How did you meet/ contact these Contacts (methods used or how it happened)?

I didn't make any Contacts/ Visits/ Placements over the Summer but I did start looking into Design Studios in Huddersfield and looking at their portfolios to see if I wanted to approach them.

4. If you didn't make any contacts, why? (Working? Holiday? Commitments?)

As you can tell from my answer to question 2, I had quite a full summer but I wouldn't use that as an excuse. This will probably seem silly but I personally don't feel as though I could go up to somewhere and see about getting a placement with the lack of skills and ability that I have as I feel as though, if they asked me to make some work, I wouldn't be able to produce it to there standard and would need to ask for loads of help along the way. I fear that I would come across as out of my depth and not very good at what I do so currently the idea of a placement or contacts is quite overbearing and worrying. I want to do it as i know its very important but I don't think I'm good enough to do it.

5a. What methods of contacting creatives can you think of?
  • Email
  • Handwritten Letter
  • Telephone Call
  • Skype
  • LinkedIn
  • Behance/ Studio Blogs
  • Visiting Studios
  • Sending them a Promotional Pack/ Creative CV- Interactive and Memorable
  • Going to Design Exhibitions/ Fairs and Conventions
  • If they are Visiting Lecturers, Talk to them afterwards
  • Invite them to the College
5b. What would you ask these creatives?
  • How did they start in this Industry?
  • What was the hardest aspect of Design for them to learn?
  • Can I have a Visit?
  • What do they consider when they are deciding whether to do a Brief or not (Eg. Ethics, Money)?
  • Do they take on more Big or Small Projects?
  • How many Briefs/ Projects do they take on a month?

No comments:

Post a Comment