Tuesday 12 November 2013

Studio Brief 1: Design for Print Interim Crit

For the Crit, we were to discuss how we were doing with the Design for Print brief and where it was going.

In my crit, I discussed my idea briefly giving a general overview and discussed how I was going to produce my kit and what would be in it.
Feedback I received from the Crit
The only positive piece of feedback that was given was that it was a strong conceptual idea and a different approach to the Brief. The main criticism I got was that I needed to have a strong, more secure audience as they didn't feel that it was focused or that the idea of doing a digitally printed handbook which would be read by a solely digital audience meant that I would loose the message and purpose of my campaign, causing a contradiction within my work. They felt that it needed to be more physical and hands-on. Another thing was the idea of it being mass-produced because if this was every mass produced, the costs would need to be kept down so consider doing something with 1 colour.

After the Crit, I wrote down what I was going to do next from the Crit:

Action based on the Crit
From the Feedback I had been given, I felt like the most important thing I needed to do was go back to the drawing board, re-evaluate everything I had done up to this point and start again. Also, I knew that it would be important for me to start doing some Primary Research for the brief which is something I had already started doing. This would be important so that I could gain hands on experience in the information that I would be giving to others.

My Response to the Crit
After the crit,  I felt very dejected and uncertain as to where I was going to go in regards to my work so I took it upon myself to go through my idea again and make changes to it so that I would be able to fulfil the criteria mentioned in the Brief, responding to how badly it went in a positive way so that I would be able to improve my work. From here, I have developed it so that I had a solid audience, message, purpose and way of doing it:
  • Audience of College Students (Multi-Disciplines)
  • Message of Encouraging People to Print
  • Aim is to get them in the Print Room
  • Purpose is so that tyne facilities are being used and technicians don't loose their jobs
  • The means will be through a Propaganda Campaign
  • The method will be a Newspaper and Posters which will be packaged in an Envelope (Printed by Hand if Possible)
  • The Newspaper will contain information specified on the brief as well as articles referencing topics such as the environment. It will have a strong identity and include a manifesto.
This means that I have a focused brief and a focused response to a focused audience with a focused purpose, aim and message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment