Thursday 28 November 2013

Studio Brief 2: Designing for Web Interim Crit

For the Crit, we were to discuss how we were doing with the Designing for Web brief and where it was going. We had to get up in front of the group (I was in Group 4) and present what we had done so far.

In my crit, I discussed my idea briefly giving a general overview and discussing how I was approaching it. I showed all of my design sheets and mentioned that I had started coding my Homepage.
What I presented for my Crit
I managed to get a lot of positive feedback in regards to my idea, approach and the fact that my website has a solid purpose.

I was asked what my target audience was and I stated that it was ideally for a Infant to Junior School Pupil who had been asked as homework from school to do some research into Chocolate, making it educational and informative. This was seen as a very focused and specific audience to work with which would influence my design choices. I had mentioned that I had wanted to do a very complex story-style website but had ended up simplifying it down to some pages which were all the same which I felt took away from my initial ideas but I was told that this would be great for the audience as it would be easy for them to understand and use the site, making it more friendlier than the original intention I had.

At the same time, I got some very valuable feedback as there are room for improvements. One great piece of feedback was the use of language that I would need to consider as it would need to consider understanding of a child. For example, production would perhaps be too complicated so maybe use the term 'making'. It was suggested to maybe have a look at the Cbeebies website for influence into how I should approach this.

The decision to use illustrations by myself was well received and was told to do flat-colour illustrations and perhaps have a different colour background for each section so it is clear when the user has changed from section to section. Another great suggestion I got was to select a better, larger typeface which would ideally be friendly, rounded, sans serif and lowercase to aid the audience in connecting with it.

After this Crit, I put these comments into practise (See Design Practise Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment