Wednesday 8 January 2014

Studio Brief 3: Designing For Print and Web Final Crit and Self Evaluation

For our Crit, we were put into small groups (I was in Group 6) and we had to discuss what we had done with the Print and Web brief.

Work for Crit
From the feedback we were given, we had to fill in a feedback sheet for the person to the left of us. Vicky filled my sheet in for me.

Feedback Sheet
I found the feedback that I got from my Crit very helpful as I was given some considerations to fulfil and some great ideas to include.

They felt it was an idea to make my crossbar of the anchor in the logo shorter to give emphasis onto the letterform 'w' as it is difficult to read. Maybe to try a serif font as well so it goes with the name of the restaurant better, however, it was also stated that the font I was using went very well and looked aesthetically in sync with the logo itself. I stated that I felt it would be an idea to use an off-white antique stock for my prints so it gives a softer tone and I was recommended a watercolour textured stock which could be used.

In regards to other collateral or ideas to consider, it was suggested to have my drinks menu in a bottle and to present my receipts in a message in a bottle. I felt this was a very good original suggestion and goes well with my theme. The struggle will be to find some suitable bottles to use but it doesn't mean I won't try.

I also discussed the fact that I haven't done my web design yet but I have already considered the contents. I would like a Homepage, Menu page, About page and a Reservations page in order to make a booking for a table online. I tea suggested to have the curser as an anchor which is what I may include.

Self- Evaluation:
  • How did you approach the brief? - I approached this brief with a bit of worry due to the fact that it was going to be typographic yet I haven't had many briefs lately to do something with type so I felt like it would be a challenge. I like doing brand and identity anyway so it was something which I felt I would enjoy. 
  • What was your thought-process behind the brief? - My thought-process was to look up typographic terminology and fit a concept around what I found. This wold then lead me into other directions that would produce a full scale concept to work with.
  • What worked?/What was Good? - What was good was the way that I got to work with print and web together so I could see how one decision would effect the other or impact on the other. It was also good to see how they worked together. I felt it was also good how I learnt how to manipulate a typeface using 'Create Outlines' as I didn't know you could and I felt it was quite cheeky but not out of the rules of the brief to make typographic illustrations in response so I could work to a strength to improve one of my weaknesses. 
  • What didn't work?/ What was Bad? - What was bad about the Brief was that I don't think i contributed enough printed collateral from the brief. I did manage to produce a range of products but I think it would have been better if I had some more. With the style and audience as well as tone of voice of the restaurant I created, this would be very difficult.
  • What would you change?- If I was to change it, I would perhaps change my website to include more photography, however, I don't think it would then be in keeping with the style of the rest of the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment