Thursday 19 March 2015

Progress Crits

For these Crits, we had to show what we had done on briefs so far this semester. We were given sheets where we were to write down three questions that we had for each project so far so that we could get focused feedback on the areas that we need help with.

So far, the briefs I have done this semester are DBA and YCN (apart from the design boards) and I have worked on my Kitty Collateral brief and my Luxury Chocolate Collaborative brief. As I have already finished those other briefs, I didn't feel that it was necessary to get feedback on those so I focused on writing questions on my Kitty Collateral brief and my Luxury Chocolate Collaborative briefs.

Questions for my Briefs
After an hour, we met back up and had to present the work that we had done before asking the questions that we had and getting feedback on them.

Presented Book for YCN
To show that I had done some physical work, I presented my YCN storybook showing all of the pages and talking about the concept and the content of the book. I got great feedback in regards to the amount of work that I had put into the book and how it was clear that I had put a lot of thought into the book as I had come up with all the content as well as the visuals and how it works in regards to answering the brief.

Even though I didn't want any feedback, I stated that I hadn't done the design boards yet for the submission and this is what I was working on today having been working on the photography. I was given great feedback in regards to what I should include within my boards and should talk about on my blog. I should show the character development and how I have come to the stage I have and why I chose these particular characters and representations. Alongside this, the narrative is the unique selling point of the product and should be reinforced, particularly the synecdoche within the story and its relevance. 

One fantastic suggestion I was also given was to apply my book to an iPad if I had the time so that you would be able to see it in a digital realm and allow it to reach a larger audience range. I knew straight away that this would give a more integrated product and be able to use the story on many platforms.
Display of Kitty Collateral Brief
Next, I went onto talking about my Kitty Collateral Brief and I had three questions that I wanted answering.

I wanted to know about my font choices and their relevance, ect. The comment I got back was quite unnerving as there was mis-understanding of my brand name due to the font with the name all in capitals. I am going to have to think about how I can address this problem.

I asked about the time restrictions that we have at the moment and whether I should continue with wanting to make all the products or should I mock the project up. I was given positive feedback ascertaining to both but ultimately, after the discussion, it was decided that I should continue to make stuff but I should be selective as to what I choose to produce and what I can mock up.

Finally, I wanted to talk about the idea of producing a web proposal for the brief as this would add to my portfolio through the feedback that I had been getting as well as handing itself to the subject matter. I was told that I shouldn't try and code a website (which was never my intention int he first place) and that I shouldn't worry about it but if I have the time I should show a proposal for a web site.
Display of Collaborative
Lastly, I had some questions about my collaborative work with Emily as we so far have determined the visual identity for the brand but I wanted to get some feedback on the decisions that we had to make.

Saying that, I didn't have a lot of time left to speak about it so I only asked the first question which was about which colour foiling would be best for the colour scheme. Emily and I had been torn between silver and gold and the feedback I got was to go for gold based on the tone working with the brown and cream scheme better.

I will be working from this straight away and taking a lot of this feedback on board as I felt that it was quality and constructive thoughts that can push my work further.

No comments:

Post a Comment