Tuesday 18 March 2014

Design Practise 2: Studio Brief 1- Research Book Final Crit

For the final crit, we had to have a mocked up version of what we had designed so far. It had to be a physical printed copy so that it was easy to see any spelling and grammar mistakes through the printed body copy.

We were put into groups (I was in Group 4) where we had to lay the work out, discuss our work with the other members of the group before going around each members work around the table and filling in a feedback sheet.
Mock Ups for Final Crit
For this crit, again, like the last one, I had a lot of questions that I needed answering;
  • Appropriate stock I could use (preferably sustainable)?
  • Would my images benefit from having a green filter on them?
  • Would the work benefit from an inclusion of illustrations?
  • Would the front have more impact if I inverted the white and green colour of the logo to have a full bleed image?
  • For having a flipbook/ notepad format, could you recommend any methods/ binding techniques I could try? 
  • Which of the 2 packaging ideas is the most appropriate?
From the crit of my current work, I got this feedback:


Feedback from Final Crit
The feedback I got from my crit was that they liked my photographs but it would be a good idea to try and include illustrations to add a more unique element. The group unanimously preferred the open out gate but to produce it without a padlock on it as it gives the wrong impression. The main comment in regards to stock choice is that they felt an off-white stock would be more successful, finding some FFS approved paper that has been recycled or perhaps even making my own paper or buying paper which is handmade. It was agreed that it would be better to have a full colour bleed inverted image on my font cover so that it has much more impact and makes the book much more interesting therefore I will do this straight away. It was also suggested that I try out some more layouts and experiment more with my placement which I can go onto doing from here.

In a way this crit has helped so that I have more reassurance in what to include for my book but at the same time I still feel like I have a lack of direction. I am going to keep going, go with the comments made and develop and experiment further with the contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment