Tuesday 16 April 2013

Design Principles: Studio Brief: 'What Is A Book?' Self- Evaluation

Self-Evaluation:
  • How did you approach the brief? - I approached the brief on the basis that I wanted to make a minimal style layout as that is the style that I like myself. I wanted there to be a correlation between the subject matter and design choices of each double spread. Also, despite the fact that each page would have something different on them, I wanted the layout to be the same throughout so that it would have some unity as a collection of spreads.
  • What was your thought-process behind the brief? - My thought process for the brief was that I would let the traditional drawing layouts dictate the size and style of my double spreads. It was by producing them to full scale which allowed me to be able to determine what would be successful and really opened my eyes in regards to sizing. Normally, by computer, it doesn't let you see the dimensions for yourself so it was good to get that knowledge and insight before producing the work.
  • What worked?/What was Good? - Some of the double spreads worked quite well together, such as the form follows function layout and the Fibonacci sequence layout, as they reflected well with each other and kept a nice balance. I was also happy with my traditional mark-ups of the layout designs as I was very particular in my approach to drawing them and spent quite a bit of time designing them so I was happy with the precise outcome.
  • What didn't work?/ What was Bad? - In reflecting on what was good, what was bad was that some of the double spreads didn't work quite as well together as I hoped. The idea and intention was there but visually, they didn't quite gel as well as others, such as the Pantone Matching layout. Something else that could be seen as bad by other people was my choice not to bind the double spreads. Personally, I felt as though they worked regardless of binding or not so I was happy keeping them separate, however, I can understand that some people may disagree with that choice and think it bad.
  • What would you change?- What I would change is perhaps the sizing of my layout to a smaller size so that it is more manageable and to see whether it would look better on a more intimate scale, however, I would probably keep the same layout design whilst changing the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment